Our Team of Qualified Instructors
We hold our Jiu-Jitsu and Kickboxing skills to the highest standard. You can be assured that when you are being instructed by a member of Team Madama you are receiving training of the highest quality.
Professor Josh Madama
HEAD JIU-JITSU INSTRUCTOR
Professor Josh Madama is a life-long resident of Toms River, NJ. As a professional Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructor, he has spent over 20 years refining his craft. He is the sole owner of Madama Jiu-Jitsu Academy, which he opened in 2005.
- A full-time Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructor,
- Owner & Head Instructor of Madama Jiu-Jitsu Academy,
- Assistant Instructor at Renzo Gracie Holmdel,
- Assistant Instructor at Serra Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu,
- A two-time North American Grapplers Association Champion,
- A second degree black belt under Matt Serra.
Professor Madama isn't just a teacher, he confesses to still being a student. He continues to improve his jiu-jitsu by taking regular (sometimes twice weekly) private classes from John Danaher, head instructor at Renzo Gracie's flagship school in New York City and still travels to Long Island to train under and learn from his friend and master, Matt Serra.
PROFESSOR MADAMA'S INFLUENCES INCLUDE:
- Matt Serra — Renzo Gracie’s first American black belt & former UFC champion,
- Renzo Gracie — the legendary Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioner & grandson of the founder, Carlos Gracie,
- Rodgrigo Gracie — Renzo’s cousin & also grandson of Carlos, co-author of 3 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu books,
- John Danaher — another Renzo Gracie black belt & Head Instructor at his New York City school. Co-author of several books, he is considered one of the art’s pre-eminent teachers,
- Ricardo Almeida — Renzo Gracie’s first black belt and a standout mixed martial arts veteran.
PROFESSOR MADAMA'S PROMOTION RECORD:
- Blue Belt by Rodrigo Gracie,
- Purple Belt by Ricardo Almeida,
- Brown Belt by Matt Serra,
- Black Belt by Matt Serra (in attendance for the ceremony included Renzo Gracie, Ricardo Almeida, and John Danaher — among others).
Kru Mike Lanzano
KICKBOXING AND PRIMARY STRIKING INSTRUCTOR
Kru Mike started his kickboxing training in 1999 and, in 2007, received his black arm band from Kru James Wellington (who is a black arm band under Kru Phil Nurse who has trained such notable MMA champions as George St. Pierre and Rashad Evans).
Kru Mike’s style of kickboxing has a foundation based on Kru Phil Nurse’s hybrid Muay Thai style that artfully mixes Western boxing, quick counters, balanced movement, and powerful Muay Thai kicks.
He is also a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Professor Josh Madama.
Professor Mike Elshamy
ASSISTANT BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU COACH
ASSISTANT STRIKING COACH
Shamy is a decorated high school and college wrestler who began his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training while attending Rutgers University. Shamy continued his winning ways on the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournament circuit winning many titles and championships for Team Madama Jiu-Jitsu. He was undefeated as an amateur mixed martial artist and has recently turned professional.
Shamy is a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Professor Madama. He teaches most of our morning striking classes and many grappling classes.
Professor Jim McCormick
ASSISTANT BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU COACH
Coach Jim is the primary coach for our Kids Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and grappling programs. He also fills in and teaches many of our beginners and advanced classes too.
Jim started training in the early 1990's under Royce Gracie when Royce came to teach at Maxercise Gym in Philadelphia. Soon after that Coach Jim started training under the first American Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, Craig Kukuk.
After not training for over a decade, Coach Jim joined our team in 2008 and is a constant presence in our academy. A technical grappler, Coach Jim enjoys learning and teaching the art, and is always willing to share any of his knowledge with any of our teammates.
Jim is a father of three and all of his children, and his wife, train at Madama Jiu-Jitsu Academy.
Professor Kory Acchione
Kory is a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Josh Madama. His technical Jiu-Jitsu always makes for interesting lessons packed with details to improve your technique.
He is also an accomplished competitor with a Silver medal in the No-Gi pan American Championship, among other competitions.
Kru Sandi McCormick
KIDS STRIKING COACH
Sandi has been training in kickboxing under Kru Mike Lanzano since 2009 and recently earned her black armband. She is a dedicated, hard-working student and instructor who is also a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Professionally, Sandi is a registered nurse and a health & wellness coach. She has three kids of her own, all of which train at our academy.